Monday, September 24, 2007

I hate disappointing people

I hate when I cannot get all the emails returned, or friend's children counseled, or all the right people informed all the time. I hate it when I can't support every missionary that calls, (let alone call them all back) or mentor each staff member with as much time as they feel they need.

I am basically okay with the notion that I am in an earthen vessel, and will disappoint people. I think I've got some basic comfort with that idea. And I understand a little about delegating what I cannot get done myself.

Yet, every time one more person complains of one more place where I fell short of their expectations, it messes up my day, and takes me some hours to work through.

I wonder how much that was on the heart of the greatest leader of all time, as he took his final steps toward a grisly death. I wonder how much He had to resign Himself to the idea that He would never meet all the expectations of the people who had marched him into the city one week earlier, shouting his coronation, and boasting about His power?

The same city that had shouted his praises, showed up to shout 'crucify him"? How fickle is that? And his 12 best friends ran, not into the burning building of his false accusations as a fireman would run into a fire, and as you would expect. They ran away, right when he needed them most.

But he did it to show that it could be done, and with dignity. If he did it, surely I can, in the strength He gave. God help me grow up a little, get some thicker skin, and keep my dignity even when people complain about my lack of ability to meet all their expectations.

3 comments:

sammylu said...

Good stuff Gerry! I battle with that also. A good verse I read this week..."Obviously, I'm not trying to be a people pleaser! No, I am trying to please God. If I were still trying to please people, I would not be Christ's servant." Gal 1:10 NLT Although I want to please people, it doesn't always seem to happen the way that I hope (or they hope). Oh well, life goes on. You're a great leader and I appreciate your investment into my life. Thanks for everything! -Sam Masteller

Anonymous said...

I, too, feel overwhelmed by the expectations of people at times. One day while sitting with Jesus and pouring out my ministry frustrations I heard a whisper in my heart... "You are not a beast of burden. You are my child and a vessel to be filled, poured out and refilled."
We were not created to carry these kinds of burdens. I am not a camel to carry the flock. I am a vessel of honor to be filled in His Presence and then to minister in the overflow. I become dry when the expectations of others keep me feeling guilty, overwhelmed and drained.
Freedom is deliverance from guilt, too!

Pastor Scott said...

You are absolutely right Gerry! We can't please everyone all the time but we can please our Heavenly Father. As a new minister I learned pretty quickly that at the end of the day some people will be disappointed with you. I appreciate your honesty. I wish more ministers would be this open. Thanks for your input.
Scott Dorn