Monday, June 14, 2010

Leadership Principle

1. Do for ONE what you can't do for ALL

Often times leaders are reluctant to do anything when they cannot do it for anyone. This is a recipe for mediocrity in your organization and it will ultimately remove the leader from the very things that they need to be close to.

Here's how I apply this principle:
*I went and visited a church member in the hospital this morning even though I can't visit every member. I did for one what I can't do for all.
*I will perform only 5 marriages this year but that's all. I'll do some, but not all.
*I once gave a staff member a car who was in desperate need of transportation. I can't give all my staff vehicles, but I was in position to give one to one of them.

These are just a few examples of how this principle works. Don't let the naysayers and the masses determine what you do. Do for one what you can't do for all.

3 comments:

Gerry Stoltzfoos said...

That is great stuff David! A really great leadership principle.

Paul said...

I totally agree, Gerry. Withdrawing from one what you can't do for all can send a message that we don't care at all.

Tommy Barnett excels at this.

Richard Earl said...

I think caution is advisable as this could have a demoralizing effect on s staff. Where is the line between favoritism and doing for one what you can't do for all?